What's The Biggest Lesson You Learned In 2017?
At the end of 2016 I decided that I would not write New Year's resolutions. That was because I had not achieved the resolutions that I had made at the beginning of the year. I even wrote an article about it. To, ehhem, quote myself, I wrote:
A statistic brain study showed that only 8% of people who make resolutions succeed in keeping them. So, instead of procrastinating in December, in anticipation of the end of the year and the beginning of a new one to "start afresh" and put a load of pressure on myself, I've decided to just carry on as normal - focusing on areas of improvement in my work and life in general every day. It's a different approach as I've been the queen of making new year's resolutions in previous years, but I feel so much ease looking at things this way and more geared up for success!
Instead of NEW resolutions, I decided to continue pursuing the dreams, goals and desires that I already had, some of which I had had for years. So, that's what 2017 has been about. But, in pursuing and reflecting on those dreams, goals etc. I have learnt a valuable lesson: To stay focused. I've come to realise that focus is much deeper than I thought it was; focus is spiritual alignment with that which you desire to be, obtain or achieve.
I have a size-able list of things that I desire, some of which I realised in 2017...
• I traveled, more than planned which is a blessing.
• I got a new job, which has provided me with greater, more challenging, learning opportunities.
• I've enjoyed a beautiful romance which has made my life so much sweeter.
• I've been the happiest I have been in one year, after a long time.
• I've come to have greater clarity about what I want and what I want to contribute in my lifetime on earth.
In the same token, the following also happened...
• I didn't get to visit one country that I reeaally wanted to explore.
• I lost and let go of some relationships which were dear to me.
• I lost some money.
• I slacked a lot in my businesses (I thank God for understanding business partners).
• Gained over 10kgs in a short space of time (I've lost some, thank goodness!).
So, in as much as I made progress with some of my plans, dreams and desires, there are areas in my life which have not progressed much. In most cases it has been due to focusing on the wrong things (very key) which has led to laziness, poor planning and a lack of motivation or inspiration.
As hard as it is, reflecting on the things that I did not realise or achieve just gives me a crystal clear indication of when my focus has been on the wrong things. I know that there are many things that happen in life which are beyond one's control, but still, many are within your control. Because I believe that focus is spiritual alignment, I know that in cases where I did not realise my true desires, it was because I was out of alignment with them and with my inner being. I just need to get back in sync with them and watch the magic! I'm sure I seem crazy to some of you, but it works for me haha!
That is the biggest lesson I have learned in 2017 - to get into spiritual alignment with that which I desire. To focus my heart, mind and soul on that which is wanted.
What's the biggest lesson you've learned this year?